Nachos

Let's see....

Saturday we worked this party at this fancy condo building by the park, so we didn't have time to get something to eat. Luckily, I had Japanese breakfast. What? You don't know what that is? Raw fish and rice? Nooooooo. Spaghetti and meatballs. Okay, I don't think anyone else calls it that, but we were in the airport one morning, very early, and there were a group of Japanese guys wolfing down the spaghetti and meatballs. And then I think we saw this occurance another time...

So Saturday that party was ridiculous. These women running the party were very nitpicky and seemed to have no confidence in our professional skills. The food pimp did the food, and I bartended along with one other girl. So I was told it would be margaritas, beer wine and soft drinks. No problem. Then at the last minute, they want another bartender, but it's too late. Anyhoo, when we get there, they tell me that they found some vodka from the last party, so they were going to do martinis, vodka tonic, screwdrivers. They had olives and picks, and limes and they asked me if I had brought cocktail shakers. No one had informed me I needed my own cocktail shaker! So I haven't bartended in a while, and they were making me nervous. They were saying with only one person at each bar we would be "runnning". I was wondering how I was going to keep up if I had a line of 10 people waiting. 10 impatient and demanding people. Anyway, it went fine. They loved the food, there were never more than 4 people at my bar, and the other was fine. They were impressed with my ability to make mixed drinks (haha).

Sunday morning, we had good old Lumberjack Grill. Corned beef hash all around.
Sunday night, we were watching football, so we got this craving for nachos. We had left over tortilla chips and pico de gallo from the night before, so we got ground beef, cheese. So I sauteed onion, garlic, browned the ground beef, seasoned the shit up, put it in a pan on the chips, topped it with cheese and put that shit on the oven. It was so good, I think we probably haven't made nachos since college - that was a long time ago.

Monday night, I really had a craving for paella. I haven't had it in ages. So we had some aborio rice I figured I could use. I got chicken thighs, canned clams in juice, saffron, peas, edamame, corn and mushrooms. I know that's not traditional, but those are the veggies that I wanted. I seasoned the chicken with coriander and salt, since I didn't have black pepper. Then I browned the shit out of it. Then sauteed up some onion garlic,mushrooms,bell pepper, added crushed tomato, fried the rice. I added the juice from the clams and chicken broth, then put the chicken back in. Once it came to a boil, I lowered the temp, covered it and watched Family Guy. When the rice was pretty much cooked and there was still a little liquid, I added the edamame, peas and corn and let it finish. We ate it with a little squeeze of lemon.

Tuesday night, we had Dao Son. It's a Japanese noodle place on El Cajon Blvd. I had this stir fried tofu with japanese eggplant and peanuts on rice, and he had shrimp in black bean sauce. Very very tasty. So good, that he ate my leftovers for lunch today, which really bummed me out when I got home. I was looking forward to eating the other half of that tofu!

Comments