american chop suey & arroz negro

So, I made my american chop suey on Thursday night. It had onion, garlic, eggplant, mushrooms, ground beef and marinara sauce. I used macaroni, as is traditional. And I just bought some prewashed cut bibb lettuce blend and a cucumber for salad. We just used oil and vinegar and sea salt for the dressing. Oh my god! It was so yummy. Real high cuisine!

Saturday for lunch we had Chipotle. Have you heard of this place? It's owned by McDonald's, from what I've been told, but it's very good. The menu is small. Basically, there is carnitas, grilled chicken, grilled beef and barbacoa beef. You pick if you want tacos, burrito, taco salad or something else. Then you pick vegetarian or one of the meats. Then they have pinto beans, black beans and rice, pico de gallo and 2 hot sauces. Then there's corn, guac, sour cream, cheese and lettuce. So you watch them make it, kinda like at subway.

Saturday day, we went shopping for our food club dinner and Halloween costumes. We got most of our Halloween gear at Walmart. But the FP needed some tube socks with the stripes. We went all over the damn mall and couldn't find any. Finally he settled for the plain ones. So he was the lead guitarist from Perfect Blue, and I was a sexy 70 year old lady.

We went home and recorded a cover of Dandy Warhols "just try" and we cooked. We made arroz negro, which is spanish black rice, similar to paella. Instead of saffron though, the main flavoring for the rice is squid ink. We made shrimp broth, used chicken and shrimp, and we added spaghetti noodles, green beans and grape tomatoes. We also made chicken phyllo mummies with romesco sauce to go on top as garnish.

So we went to the food club party, and our friends hosting did desserts and cocktails. The desserts were awesome. They were like hostess snacks decorated to look like spiders and other creepy crawlies. They were decorated with candy corns, sprinkles, and pocky sticks. Also, he made white chocolate dipped lady pears. He stuck them on skewers and decorated them to look like skulls. The shape was perfect for that! The cocktails were pomegranate martinis, and she garnished with the seeds. Really good. I had 3 - 4. Then we had to switch to some kind of rum and OJ cocktail which was also good. Our other friends did apps - almost toasted pumpkin seeds and a guac and black bean dip with a sour cream spiderweb design and a black bean spider. I am pissed because I forgot to take pictures of the food! Anyway, it was a fun night and we were pretty trashed.

The next morning we were really hung over, but we had to go to the bar and watch the Steelers. So I didn't really want to drink, but I knew it would make me feel better. Halfway through my first beer I felt so much better. We had about 4 rounds of Stella Artois, then we headed home and ate the last of the arroz negro that we had and took a nap!







Comments