Crazy Saturday night!

So this is what we ended up making for dinner last night. The pork roast, as I mentioned in the last post. Although I added clove, paprika, probably some other spice, and I mixed it with water and put it in the roasting pan the last hour to make a sauce. Then I put onions and diced acorn squash in the liquid to cook too. The cabbage was turned into a slaw with carrot, onion, cilantro, lime juice, ponzu sauce, olive oil and salt. So it was kinda similar to Anne's calypso slaw at the Mango House. We also had the pinto beans, rice and the habanero sauce that the FP made when he came home. It was pretty fucking good. The key when roasting something like pork butt is to eat all of the melty and crispy fat when you eat the first meal after cooking it. It's such greasy goodness, that it just isn't the same once you microwave the leftovers. So don't waste it! And if you're one of those people who trim it off, shame on you! That is unforgivable. When we ate at Botin in Spain, which is like the oldest still operating restaurant or something, we saw these other tourists in the dining room. They got the roast suckling pig too, but we watched in horror as they took their knives and lopped off all that beautiful perfectly roasted fat! I wanted to ask if we could have it. Of course they were older american women. Not that I'm generalizing or stereotyping, but if there's a chance someone's going to do that, they're probably an american. I know. I'm an american. And maybe a long time ago I would have done the same thing. Naaaahh, I've always liked fatty crispy things. I went crazy for the chicharones when I was a little oinker.

Comments