Sunday Morning Breakfast

So, Sunday morning we woke up and went to National City! The FP had wanted Super Cocina, but I had been thinking about Philippine food all week. So we went to Tita's Kitchenette. I know there are other places there, but Tita's is so good, I would hate to go somewhere else and have it suck. We got there around 9:45am, and it was the slowest I've ever seen it. Maybe only 10 people there. There was so much to choose from and it all looked pretty good. Especially the longaniza, since it was breakfast time. But I decided on the pork adobo and the menudo. The adobo is basically meat stewed in soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, black pepper and bay leaves. The best part is letting the greasy sauce soak into the rice! The menudo is really like beef stew. This one doesn't have tripe in it - just like beef, peas, I think potatoes. It's really good though. But the best part is the vinaigrette with garlic and vinegar. I think I've written about this before. I doubt I have too many avid daily readers anyway.


Monday night, the FP was off, and it was Monday night football. That must have been why he wanted nachos again. So that's what he had for dinner. He cooked the ground beef and mixed salsa in it. Then he topped tortilla chips with the beef, jalapenos and cheese and broiled it.

I had a completely different meal. We had some somen noodles in the house, so I boiled those and cooled them. Then I blanched some broccoli florets, edamame and peas. Then I julienned cucumbers and diced avocado. I toasted sesame seeds lightly. I tossed the all the ingredients with ponzu sauce, then I added a little mayonnaise. This may sound gross, but there's a Japanese restaurant on Carrolton (or there was) that served basically the same thing without the veggies. The name eludes me. Must be the Alzeimer's starting to take effect. It was definitely a comfort food thing for me.

Tuesday night the FP made shrimp and okra gumbo. It was pretty good, but the flavors hadn't developed yet. I'm sure it will be great tonight. We were a bit iffy about how it would turn out though - he used frozen okra!

Comments