Another week, another 15 pounds

So Saturday morning was sausage, fried eggs and "dirty rice". I feel like there was something else, but I really can't remember it.

Saturday afternoon, we recorded a cover of Ned's Atomic Dustbin's "grey cell green". During that time, we made a yummy dinner too. Oxtail stewed with onion, garlic, tomatoes, some other stuff too. The FP basically dumped everything in the pot and let it boil. He also made pinto beans because we had some left over, I think. I made some dum aloo. This was a potato dish I learned to make at the Mango House, a Caribbean restaurant that used to be in New Orleans. It's russett potatoes with an Indian yogurt sauce. The sauce has onion, garlic, ginger, cardamom, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, clove, tumeric, and maybe some other stuff Anyway, it's really good, and it's a crowd pleaser too. So we ate this food for a few days.

Tuesday, I went to the store and bought veggies. I didn't really have a plan, but all we had been eating was starch and meat, so I needed veggies. I diced everything up, so it would be ready to go. Then the FP came home early. He wasn't informed that his class was cancelled. So he had some chicken, and he cooked it with the veggies I had prepped. Zucchini, broccoli, lima beans, carrots, and chicken. It was Oriental flavor chicken and veggies. I'm sure there's a name for this flavor combination, but I don't know what it is.

Wednesday, Popeye's. Oh yeah. 2 piece spicy dark with a side of red beans each, and a large mashed potatoes to share. What you do, is you eat a piece of chicken, then half the red beans and rice, then you mix in mashed potatoes. Then you dip your biscuit in it. Then you eat another piece of chicken. You can dip that in the red beans and mash mix too. Then you add more mash until it's all gone. Really. It's so good. Don't worry about your health. Just enjoy.

Thursday. We got crazy and went to a show at the House of Blues. She Wants Revenge. If you like Depeche Mode, Bauhaus and other bands like them, you'll probably like these guys. On the way home, we went through the Del Taco drive thru on 11th. When we first moved here and I worked downtown, I loved going to Del Taco after work. Crinkle fries, ground beef burrito and taco, just what I want at 12 am. It's way better than Taco Bell. I don't care what anyone says. The food is simple and still "americanized", but it just has better flavor. Sorry Taco Bell. I know I grew up with you, but I've outgrown you now.

Friday. We went to the Ken Club. But then we saw that Digital was playing next door. This is the long awaited movie about Ian Curtis, the lead singer of Joy Division. He kills himself in the end. Hope I didn't give away the plot. Anyway, if you see it kinda late like we did, you might fall asleep. There were quite a few guys in the audience snoring away. And they were probably the ones that dragged their girlfriends to the movie in the first place. It was good though. Really depressing but pretty cinematography. Anyway, on the way home we got Burger King. 2 Italian Chicken Sandwich combos. I noticed that it was a half hour before closing. Needless to say, the sandwiches were dense, dry, not very saucy, and barely warm. We ate them regardless. Sometimes that's what you've gotta do.

Saturday morning. Yea! We went to the long awaited barbacoa place on the corner of Fairmount and Myrtle in City Heights. It's a little patio area behind a convenience store. There were all Mexicans besides us, and pretty much there's only one item to order. Barbacoa lamb with all the taco fixins. And also, a cup of soup is almost mandatory. The soup is just made with the drippings from the lamb, and some rice and chick peas. It's so good though. Especially because it was a little nipply on Saturday. The lamb meat comes with pinto beans, rice, fresh made tortillas, condiments, and a fresh made salsa with roasted peppers. It was sooooooooooo good. Better than el Borrego. The lamb meat is just so tender yet flavorful. I'm not used to this mild tasting lamb, but I'm hooked. And it was only $18 for the whole meal. That's pretty good for lamb.

Saturday afternoon we recorded a cover of the Smashing Pumpkins' Disarm. It lasted until 9 pm, so we just ordered Japanese breakfast for dinner. From New York Pizza. That's spaghetti and meatballs if you don't know. It was good, even though it lacked a lot of sauce. I think late at night they don't have too much sauce, so they don't put as much. That's my theory anyway.

Right now, I'm making chili. I'm using pork and beef, and pintos and red beans. It's ground meat. I had wanted to use stew meat and cut it up small, but it's more expensive, so fuck that. I made a chili sauce with mostly anchos. I don't have salt, so I have to wait until the FP comes home from work to finish it. I'm really too lazy to go get salt. We went to the bar at 10 am to watch the Steelers game, so I just don't feel like going to the store again just for salt. Oh well. Hopefully it will be good.

Comments