chili!!!!

So yesterday it was chilly. What else could I make, but chili? So I went to good old Pancho's.

I sauteed onion, garlic and bell peppers. I boiled pinto and red beans. I added ground pork and beef and bay leaves to the veggies. Then I added crushed tomatoes and let it stew. I made a chili puree with dried anchos, coriander, fresh bell pepper and tomatoes. I added the chili puree after about 45 minutes. I didn't have salt, so I found the rest of the fish sauce and used that for salt. And then I chopped cilantro and sliced green onion for garnish. I also made a little guac for garnish too.

I don't really say "guac" in day to day life, but I just like using it because it's funny to me. Of course I also boiled some rice. I grew up eating chili and rice together. I don't know if it's a standard Philipine thing or just my parents did it. But I remember eating it on a plate pretending I was a cowgirl. That was back when I used to watch Bonanza and Little House on the Prairie. Anyway, back to Sunday night dinner - I bought tortilla chips so that we could scoop the chili and rice up and eat it with our hands or with a spoon. Now it's Monday night, and we've eaten about 2/3rd of a gallon pot. Not bad. The FP just made ceaser salad for a "light, healthy dinner"! LOL Well, compared to what we've been eating I guess it is healthy.

Comments