SOUP PLANTATION

The title had to be in all caps. That's because we have been in SD for 25 months now, and we just ate at the Soup Plantation a week ago. We have heard a lot about this place. All good, really. All kinds of people too, not just slaveowners. Rich people, poor people, middleclass. It's soup plantation this, soup plantation that.

So for you peeps not fortunate enough to know what I'm talking about, it's a chain. They sell soup. What else do you need to know?

So you walk in and go through the salad line right away. They have premixed ceaser and a couple other salads like that. Then there's lettuce, romaine, spinach, iceberg.. then toppings, the usual chickpeas, mushrooms, blah, blah, nothing too fancy. Then the bound salads, pasta, potato, maybe some others. Then dressings and stuff. I was very boring, I think I just used oil and vinegar. I didn't like the look of the dressings or something. Plus, I wanted to save room for the main attraction.

So then you pay. You get drink cups and you find your table. So I got fruit punch because i didn't want diet coke because it was already 6 or 7 pm and I didn't want to have trouble sleeping. No I'm not even joking. I still have trouble getting up at 5:30 am, so I need all the sleep I can get. Anyway, we ate our salads. got a dab of potato salad to see what it was like. Pretty much like normal potato salad,which was surprising. I'm used to getting that stuff and it's bland like they just mixed celery and mayo with potatoes. But it was as if they brought it in premade. Maybe they didn't, but that's what it tasted like.

So anyway, there is the pasta bar, the soup bar, the breads, the kinda dessert/fruit bar(with whole delicious apples,oranges red jello and chocolate mousse, and the frozen yogurt machine/bar. The pasta bar looked like shit. Overcooked, and dry. Except for the watery looking mac and cheese. I got a tiny spoonful just to see. It tasted like bechamel. Not really any cheese flavor to speak of. And it was watery.

So we got our first soup. I got vegetable. He got chicken noodle and clam chowder. The clam chowder tasted like cream soup with bacon. Just not good. Of course, he made a big stink about how terrible it was. He didn't eat it. The chicken noodle looked like it would have no flavor, but it tasted like homemade chicken noodle. The chicken surprisingly wasn't overcooked like sometimes it is. And the noodles were thicker so they would hold up in the soup. The veggie soup was okay, but it kinda tasted like progresso, which isn't bad. We eat progresso soup fairly often.

Second round. I got turkey dinner with stuffing. So you put the soup in the bowl and garnish with "stuffing". It's really kind of dry, so it soaks up the soup. It tasted like turkey dinner pureed in a blender, with lots of sage. Interesting. But gross. I took two spoonfuls before I abandoned it. The FP got chili. He liked it. He said it tasted like chili.

Third round. I got chili and chicken noodle soup. I don't know if he got another. I got some focaccia pizza bread. It was okay. The chili I did not like. It was sweet, not very hearty tasting, it did not taste as good as it looked. I think the chicken noodle won though. By that time, the FP was very angry. He couldn't help looking at all the people enjoying their food, and I think he wanted to pummel them all.

So we didn't actually eat much, and we were very unsatisfied, but I wanted something to take that taste out of my mouth. So I got a little frozen yogurt. But it wasn't satisfying. We watched this Japanese looking family. The dad seemed to be lecturing the son. The mom and son sat there quiet. The dad kept eating as he was lecturing about money or something. Hm. Seems familiar for some reason.

As the soup made it's way down to my stomach, I started to feel gross. Maybe it was the disappointment, the bitching that the FP was doing, the families wolfing down the food with utter delight, but I just didn't feel good. Then I went to the bathroom to pee. Two employees were in the first two stalls. I could tell because they were having a conversation and they both had those black work shoes and black pants. So I went into the handi stall. And I came back out. There was fucking corn and peas and other stuff on the toilet rim. Someone threw up in there! Now I wanted to throw up. I didn't feel like waiting for another stall, but I felt nauseous and I didn't know what to do. So I waited, and I wanted to vomit. I peed, we left, and we will never go there again. Shame on all of you who told us it was so good!!!!!

Comments