birthday breakfast

So we had breakfast on Sunday - the Food Pimp's choice - in honor of his birthday, which was actually Monday, January 28(mark it on your calendar for next year!). It was around 9 am. So naturally he picked El Borrego. It was a dark wet morning, and barbacoa sounded perfect. So we got there, and there were already a couple of tables. We ordered the 1 1/2 lb barbacoa, one order of the lamb broth soup, and an order of the ensalada de nopales. So we got our drinks, diet coke for him, mexican coffee for me. I kinda dig the weak coffee with cinnamon and lots of sugar, sometimes. I really wanted a hot beverage. So we waited a few minutes. I admired the artisan corn husk dolls on display with the warnings posted, No Tocar! The Food Pimp agonized over when the food would come. It didn't take too long. So we got the big tray of diced onion, cilantro and lime wedges. We got the soup, the cactus salad, the lamb and the tortillas. So we realized that we should order beans and rice. They brought it out right away. Now, this was plenty of food. The lamb meat - I can't describe to you how good it is. If you have ever had lamb other than barbacoa, you can't begin to understand what this tastes like. It's delicate. It's sublime. It's got flavor. I think of all the leg of lamb roasts I had to cook or watch others cook at the Patrician, and now I can't believe that it's the same animal.

So anyway, here's the procedure. Have a little bit of the soup. A taste. It's lamb broth drippings from the barbacoa, and they add some chickpeas and whatnot in it. Sometimes you get a chunk of lamb meat. So you taste it, then you have another taste. It's way better than it looks like it's gonna be. So you end up finishing it. Then you move on to the main course. Lamb tacos. Personally, I take a little of everthing and make a taco. Lamb meat, beans, rice, onion, cilantro, cactus salad, lime, hot sauce. God, I'm hungry thinking about it! With regard to what type of lamb meat, I start out using one part at a time. So we got a little of different parts of the lamb. I can't tell you exactly what parts, but some is leg, some is more rib meat, etc. You can just look at it and tell, there's dark meat, and there's light meat. Some is more stringy than other. I start out eating a bit of each in each taco. Then by the end I just start mixing. We actually had a few ounces of lamb leftover to take home! Unbelievable. This was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo delicious. Go to El Borrego as soon as you can! They are open right now!

Comments