braised pork, cabbage slaw, coconut rice

Wednesday. So I got pork butt. I seasoned it - salt fresh cracked black pepper, tony's. I threw it in a hotel pan, put bay leaves, peeled garlic, canned tomatoes in, covered it and stuck it in the oven. Then I sliced cabbage, julienned radishes from before into little transparent slivers, rough chopped cilantro. I tossed in some soy sauce, fish sauce, rice vinegar, lime, and sugar. Then later I made the coconut rice. Long grain rice with blackeyed peas and coconut milk. It came out kinda overcooked and sticky. I did measure this, but I think I counted wrong and put a little too much water in it. I just can't cook rice - but coconut rice is usually sticky and overcooked anyway... Then I fried the plantains. They were not quite ripe enough, but they were okay. The pork, it could have cooked another 45 minutes - an hour more. Oh well, I just flipped it over, and the other side was tender and starting to fall off the bone. I think the slaw was the star of the show though.




Saturday lunch.
So we wanted a light lunch. We're playing a gig tonight, and we don't want to have heavy stomachs all day. So we went to Convoy St. and decided on sushi. We went in one shopping center, then another, then we found one with Japanese and Korean food, and a big sign that said "SUSHI". So we went there. I forget the name, of course. It was in Japanese or Korean, I'll have to go back and look. Anyway, we got the chirashi bowl, gyoza and fresh salmon and mackerel nigiri. The gyoza were fine, but they suspiciously looked and tasted like the gyoza that you can buy frozen at the store. The chirashi bowl was small compared to what we're used to. It just had the fish and the egg on top of rice, with a couple sprigs of seaweed. The egg omelette thing was really sweet. It's so weird. Then there was also a tiny piece of mackerel, a shrimp, tuna, snapper and yellowtail. It was okay. The fish didn't look old, but it didn't look particularly fresh either. They brought a cup of soup. That was good. it was like the bottom of the soup pot. Dark, concentrated. They brought the nigiri. The salmon looked fine, it was good. The mackerel looked hacked up. It was all flaking apart and it didn't look too good. It tasted okay, but not great.

It's not like that time we went for sushi the day after a tropical storm and all the power had been out for several hours. That was just bad. I don't know why we went. We weren't thinking. Then we ordered. We looked at the fish, but we didn't want to hassle them and cancel. It was all very sweaty and water logged looking. But we ate it. Amazingly, neither of us got sick. Amazing.

Comments