rice and raw fish, frozen pizza

Sunday night. The FP accidentally left some of his groceries for cooking class in the fridge, so we had some sashimi grade tuna to use. Earlier in the day, I got sticky rice, avocado, cucumber and radishes.

For those of you who may not be aware, I am a Filipina. So I was cooking the rice in the rice cooker, and it was undercooked! Okay, we did practice right before that and I was tired...you're right, that's no excuse. Before I went to culinary school, I could cook rice in my sleep. After that, something that was innately in me broke. So fair enough, I don't measure when I cook rice. I eyeball it. But it's hard to find a measuring cup in this place. So I fucked up the rice. I didn't notice until after I took it out of the cooker. So I tried to cover it with plastic wrap hoping it would steam a little more. It really didn't. There were some raw grains and some that were fine. So I started some more rice, but I didn't think I wanted to wait that long. We both were pretty hungry. So here's the recipe:



My Tuna Chirashi Bowl serves 2

3 radishes, thin thin thin sliced
1/2 cucumber thin thin thin sliced
1 med avocado wedges or sliced or thin thin thin sliced
1/2 lb sashimi grade tuna thin thin thin thin sliced as thin as you like
1 lime
3 c properly cooked sushi rice
1 t sugar
1 c rice wine vinegar
1/4 c soy sauce
1/8 c fish sauce
1/8 c sesame oil
1 t - T siracha
Mix the rice with 1/2 c rice wine vinegar and sugar. Cut the lime in quarters. Squeeze the juice of one quarter in with the sliced radish and toss. Mix the very thin sliced tuna with the remaining rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, siracha, lime juice from 2 quarters, fish sauce and sesame oil. Put half the rice in each bowl. Next, rearrange the radishes, cucumbers and avocado around the edge in a silly and pretentious fashion. Then arrange the tuna in the middle so it looks kinda like an oily rose. Cut the last quarter of lime in half (so it's 2 eighths of a lime now) and put one in each bowl. Garnish with more siracha, cilantro, seaweed, sesame seeds, whatever the hell you want that isn't ridiculous. Hell, even if it is ridiculous, as long as you like it, put it on. Then serve with chopsticks, please. It's so wrong to eat this kind of stuff with a fork. Okay, you can eat it with your hands. That is more than acceptable.

Monday and Tuesday night. We vegged and watched movies on Monday night. (We finally watched Superbad, which is as hilarious as everyone said it would be) So on the way home, we got popcorn Orville's theater style butter flavor, and Digiorno's thin crust supreme pizza. So we ate a couple bags of popcorn, then we had one pizza on Monday, the other on Tuesday night. There's something about frozen pizza - it's comfort food. I grew up on a lot of those type of convenience foods, and I never got sick of them. Of course I don't eat the shit nearly as much as I used to, but I still like this stuff. The pepperoni, sausage, diced tomato, green bell pepper, it's so, predictable. I know what toppings are on a frozen supreme pizza. It's the same no matter what brand.

Tonight, though, I'm cooking....
pork butt, plantains, cabbage, blackeyed peas and rice.... stay tuned....

Comments