Wow, I'm way behind

So we've been kind of busy and sick since Mardi Gras - which was 3 weeks ago. But we haven't eaten too too much exciting stuff. So I will try to recall some of it for you. I don't want to rip you all off by not writing about one of our exciting gastronomic adventures!

So I know we had Saigon Restaurant 2 times since we've been back. Both times the FP got the beef combo pho, of course. I got the marinated chicken and rice dish. Their broken rice is really good. The chicken was kind of crispy, but the flavor was so yummy. The second time, we both got beef pho. It was a cold day.

So after the first time we went to Saigon, I was craving the pork, shrimp and jellyfish salad that they have. I wanted to recreat something similar. So I made my own pickled veggies salad. I will try to reconstruct the recipe - but this is really a speculation, cause my recollection isn't the best.

Pickled vegetable salad with beef and tofu

2 carrots, thinly cut on the bias or julienne
3 stalks of celery cut on the bias
1 onion, julienne cut
1 head of cabbage, shredded
1/2 lb of beef sliced (I used leftover steak from the night before)
1/2 lb tofu small dice
1 bunch cilantro, rough chop
1 avocado diced
3 cups vinegar
1 T salt
1 c sugar and 1/4 c sugar
1 c soy sauce
1 lime
1/2 c fish sauce
1 T siracha
1/2 c roasted peanuts

Put half the onion, celery and carrot in a pot. Add 2 cups of vinegar, 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon salt, and water to cover. Put it on a high flame. When it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium. Let it simmer for 5 minutes, then turn the heat off. Let it cool on the stove.

Get a saute pan hot, and add some oil to the pan. Then saute the tofu and beef quickly, so that they get a nice sear. Then finish it off with soy sauce, a squeeze of lime and a squeeze of siracha. Remove it to a bowl and let it cool.

Put the rest of the onion, cabbage and avocado in a big mixing bowl. Add the soy sauce, 1/4 c sugar, lime juice, fish sauce, most of the cilantro and siracha and mix.

When the pickled mix is cool, it's ready to serve. The beef and tofu can be warm or room temperature. To serve, place the cabbage slaw on the bottom, then spoon drained veggies on top, and top with the beef and tofu. Garnish with more cilantro leaves, peanuts and lime slices.

It's pretty cheap to make but it goes a long way.......

Comments