No Starch Asian Dinner

Okay, so this is something I made a loooooooong time ago. I had leftovers from the store when I made the cantonese noodle dinner, so I made this simple but satisfying dish "You can whip it up in a matter of minutes and it's presto! dinner for the whole family!!!"

No Starch Asian Dinner

4 cloves garlic smashed
1/4 onion chopped
2 lb. asian vegetable - not chinese broccoli, but like it, sliced
1 pack sliced mushrooms
1 pack medium or soft tofu, large dice
1/2 c nuoc mam
1 T chili paste

.75 lb skirt steak - optional

So take the garlic and onion and stalks of the greens and saute for a few minutes. Then throw in the mushrooms and the leaves of the greens, cover, lower then heat and steam for about 5 minutes. When you lift the lid, there should be lots of water and all the greens should still be bright green.

If not, then you did it wrong. Throw it out, go to the store and buy the same ingredients again. Repeat the same process. Then when you get back to this spot, hopefully you did it right. I would hate for you to have to go to the store a third time!

Then add the tofu and steam some more. Maybe for 1 minute. Then add the nuoc mam and chili paste, and steam for another 3 minutes. Make sure it's not on high though.... Then it's done.

If you want to add the skirt steak, then you should get a separate pan. Something nice like cast iron. Then get it hot. Season the skirt. Put just a little oil in the pan. Let it get hot. You know how I like it...then put the steak in the pan. Don't get scared of the pan though and throw the steak in, or it will splatter on you. Just gently set it in. Let it sear on one side for maybe 2-3 minutes. Then flip it, cook it another 2 minutes. Then take it out. Set it on a cutting board. Go watch tv for a few minutes. Then come back and slice the meat thin thin thin and against the grain.

Do you know what against the grain means? Find the lines, the striations of the the flesh in the meat. Whatever way they are going, slice it perpendicular to that. And on the bias.

Do you know what on the bias means. It means not straight up and down on the cutting board, but hold your knife at angle to the cutting board. You can do a 135 degree angle, or if you're fancy, you can do a 45 degree angle and do it from behind. But don't cut yourself.

You cannot sue me if you do, because 1 - I don't have any money 2 - I'm giving you this service for free 3 - cook at your own risk 4 - why would you want to sue me anyway, I really can be a nice person 5 - I shouldn't have even brought up the dreaded S word. Now someone will sue me just because I mentioned it!

Does anyone know a good cheap lawyer just in case?

Comments