Ha Ha Ha Ha

So last night, we went for "a couple drinks" with friends. Of course it ended up being more than that, because my boss was one of the participants, and he kept buying us drinks that we didn't want anymore.

So we had to go to Albertson's for dinner. We didn't really want to cook, so we got.... you'll never guess. Bertolli frozen "complete skillet meal for two" - two of them of course, because we each eat at least the amount that is 2 servings.

So I wish I would have remembered to take a picture of it. You might remember these frozen meals from the previous Top Chef season with Rocco Dispirito. Rocco, Rocco. I guess being made to look like a total penis on The Restaurant wasn't enough for you. You had to promote Bertolli frozen meal in a bag as well. Do you know if he uses Italian EVOO in those frozen meals? Okay, this is getting out of hand. I can't get rid of this Rachel Ray virus. Does anyone have a superthorough antivirus program I can use to get rid of her. She's really invading my internets space.

So everything is IQF - individully quick frozen - so it is all separate stuff that cooks fast and evenly. The sauce is rectangular chunks.

So here's the Shrimp Scampi:

Photobucket

Here's what it says on the package:
"This enticing dish is truly a garlic lover's dream. Imported Italian linguine pasta cooks up al dente and twirls around your fork just like restaurant pasta. Succulent shrimp, roasted red peppers, yellow bell peppers, and slivers of garlic are topped with a creamy garlic sauce.

Suggested wine pairing - chardonnay "

So it had pasta, cooked shrimp, onions, the other stuff.

This stuff reminds me of when I was in high school and I would get the frozen vegetables and pasta in a bag with some sauce and you add meat to it. Although I wonder if I would like that stuff better than this stuff if I ate it today. I really don't know.

So we didn't follow the directions. Of course, the FP had to add water to it. It was too much. I remember that Top Chef episode, they couldn't add water to the pan, it had to have enough moisture as is. Well, the scampi was very watery. I guess the flavor was okay. The shrimp were fine - not rubbery or iodiney, or raw.

The other one was chicken parmagiana & penne. I liked this one better because it tasted like, you know, tomato sauce. The chicken was weird though. It was like frozen breaded chicken that is reheated in frozen marinara sauce. The FP hated the chicken, I think. I can see why. I was really kind of drunk, so I ate it.

Here's the funny thing. The shrimp was 560 calories a serving and the chicken was 440 calories. I felt like the chicken dish had more substance and that weird breading, so I would think it had more calories. Anyway, I ingested about 1000 calories for dinner, but it was not as satisfying as I would have thought 1000 calories would be.

Anyhoo, yeah. That's what we ate. I'm not proud of it, but I yam what I yam - the food ho - when times are tough, a food ho will get whatever is put on her plate.

Comments