Bai Yook

So, we went for lunch - this week, last week, I don't know, it just all rolls together. I just mark the days by how much time I get to see the FP dancing in his boxer briefs before I go to work. No, I'm not joking. You should see the one Youtube video. Although he has a shirt in that one....

Anyhoo, we went to Bai Yook in Hillcrest. It's an okay place, but it's cheap enough, so that sounded delicious to us.

We were the first people in.

We ordered the same soup - tom khar and then we both got a beef salad.

So who knows about thai soups? I feel like there are generic names for soup that each restaurant uses, but there is not specific ingredients that are supposed to be used for each soup. Like tom yum. That is what I feel like I usually get. I always get the one with coconut milk. Yummy, delicious, meaty, rich, nutty coconut milk. But at Bai Yook, the Tom Khar has the coconut milk. I could look it up on the internets since I'm already on one internets, but the FP has been live streaming newscasts from New Orleans, so I don't want to overload the computer. It's already running a little slow.

Anyway, Tom Khar.



I know, the picture doesn't really say anything. Well, it's got coconut milk, galangal, straw mushrooms (one of the stars of Fantasia), tomato, cilantro, chili, and lime juice. It was quite tangy. I like that. Not quite as good as Bangkok Thai spices though. I don't know. These soups are so easy to make.

There was that one class that I taught for the FP's company. The topic was thai. I had never seen the recipe before the class. It was just to bring chicken stock to boil and add the rest of the stuff and let the flavor infuse. It was delicious.

Anyhoo, I got the soup with the tofu, and the FP got the combo soup. He always gets the combo. Except for that one time at Yoshinoya when he only got that beef and I got the chicken and beef combo. Ugh. That was scary food.

So the soup was good.

So then this lady came in and sat at the table directly behind the FP and sat in the seat directly behind him. That was 2 strikes in his book. I mean, really, the whole place is empty. Not that it's a big joint, but of all the tables, she had to pick the one closest to us. It's like when we went to the Farmhouse Cafe. I think people are magnetically attracted to us. We love our space, so strangers feel the need to deprive us of it.

So this lady was older. She immediately said she was meeting someone. I feel like ladies like to say that because they don't want people to think they are going somewhere alone. As if it's not acceptable to eat lunch out alone.

So she asked if they had iced tea. Strike 3.
No, no iced tea. Hot tea.
What kind of hot tea?
I don't remember the response, but probably green tea and jasmine?
So she asks, do they have much caffeine. Strike 4 - wait, why isn't she out?
Yes, they have caffeine. We have ginger tea, though.
Oh, ginger tea. No, I'll just have water.
Okay.
No ice though. Strike 5.
So I tried to take a picture of her, but here's what I got..


That would be funny if she or someone she knows read this....


So our food comes.

The FP got the Yum Nua.




I got the Larb Nua







Yes. They were the same thing. Really. Except the FP's was supposed to be spicy, but mine appeared to have more chili flakes than his. They both had lettuce, chili, cilantro, green onions,lime juice, fish sauce, sesame oil, cucumber chunks and red onion slice. And the ground roasted rice. Mine was supposed to be ground beef. It was the same beef as the FP's, only they made a halfassed attempt to chop it a little smaller. I swear.

So, yeah, they were okay, but it basically tasted like the beef salad that we make at home, only the cucumber is more edible........

So this lady's companion arrived. Another old lady, but cooler looking. So we were getting ready to leave, but the FP had to sit and listen to them order. The cooler one said how she always gets the same thing, although she'd like to try something else. She got the same thing. So I think they ordered the same dish. Although no caffeine no ice lady got it with less glass noodles, more veggies, and her friend ordered it with more glass noodles, less veggies. Ha ha. So funny. I guess they might as well have ordered the same dish, because that's what they would have gotten anyway.

Comments