All Apologies

So, I'm not a big Nirvana fan (for shame - I know, it's like saying you don't like the Beatles or the Stones). I'm not saying I don't appreciate their contribution to musical history - I've watched the Behind the Music and the Classic Albums documentaries and all that. But anyhoo, I hear a Nirvana song on the radio every day like the band is current. I heard All Apologies today or yesterday or the day before. I thought it was an appropriate title for this blog.

But I don't want to apologize. I'm sick of apologizing. I haven't written in ten days, which is why I would apologize, but this is not my job. I wish it were. I would write so much that I might run out of my infinite cyberspace storage. If anyone knows how this could be my job, please give me advice!

Anyway, my life has been a complete upheaval for the past 2 months or so. Lots of stuff going on. So we just moved, and we had been moving for like 2 weeks any spare time we got between work and drinking. So now we've finally moved everything except for our couch which wouldn't fit. This is the first time I've had to sit and write that I wasn't in a completely frazzled mental state.

So what have we been eating. What a loaded question. Lots of not so good stuff. Wendy's a couple times. Subway one desparate day that we didn't have much time. Del Taco. Popeye's - which was actually really good. We got 2 3 pieces, spicy dark, dirty rice for the FP, red beans and rice and mashed potatoes. They gave us both a chicken breast - which we both ate and enjoyed. It was just different and juicy. I wouldn't want to make a habit of eating it though.

We went to Home Depot one day. So, of course we had to get a hotdog. I had exactly enough money for two jumbo dogs and a tip. That was a little bright sunny patch in our dark cloudy time of moving. They were delicious, as usual. Mustard- yellow and brown, sauerkraut relish, jalapenos. They were so delicious. We must have looked funny because these workmen who had ordered some hot dogs looked at me and seemed to laugh.

Then one night we got to the neighborhood late and we weren't sure what was opened. So we went to 7-11 and got cans of Chef Boyardee - ravioli and beefaroni and we mixed them. So as we went to the checkout, I noticed the hot dog display. I couldn't resist. One jumbo dog. Relish, mustard, jalapenos. We split it in the car in the parking lot. That was one of the memorable moments in my life. Sad? Nah, I think it was poignant. It was kinda an end to a long period of time of many mixed emotions and physical strain. I'm not saying our life is peachy keen now, but it could be worse, right? What it all hot dogs were recalled? That would certainly be worse.

We also went to Los Reyes, one of our new neighborhood taco joints. It's got a parking lot. It's big, it's clean. They have seafood cocktail that looks delicious. We didn't get it - but we watched this couple eat it.

I got a burrito al pastor. The FP got a steak rancheros combo plate. The burrito was delicious. The meat was tender and flavorful (what a cliche of a description - but it's true). It just had like onion, cilantro and I think tomato maybe. So good. Soul food. That's what one needs for $3.99 when one is not in the best of times. The FP's stuff was good too, but I honestly don't remember it too well. I know the beans were the mushed kind, but they tasted good. The ranchero sauce was good. I think he was very happy with it.

Also, we went to Giorgino's. I can't believe this place has been in our vicinity and we have never seen it before now! The FP got the philly cheesesteak, of course. I got the Italian sub. Wow. That's all I can say. Okay, I can probably be a little more descriptive:

It was good.








Okay, maybe a little more. Basically, I don't know how many "authentic" cheesesteaks I've had in my life. I've had really yummy ones, but apparently not authentic. These were. They even imported the rolls from Philly. This cheesesteak had american cheese - which makes it authentic. And the guy making it looked like he was from philly too. American cheese really does make it better. The steak and onions and peppers were just - wow.

And the italian. The meat was sliced so thin, and then it had the lettuce sliced really thin and the italian dressing. It was the best italian sub I've had in years. The last one I can remember was at FSU at the sweet shop. And that was a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago. I don't want to give away my age - but that was probably around 92 or 93........ I have to say though - they sell those Honest Teas at Giorgino's. So I got like limeade - maybe ginger limeade? Anyway. It tasted like sugar water with a hint of lime. Sucked. Not a big fan.

They have like homemade huckleberry limeade at Krakatoa, our new coffee shop. I haven't had it, but it sounds good. That place is amazing. It's very homey. They make lots of beautiful baked goods in this smallish convection oven with no hood. I guess I was being a big baby when I worked at Wired and complained about not having a hood and a real kitchen - but this convection oven at Krakatoa is way nicer than the dinky one at Wired.

So what else. The FP is going to the Cystic Fibrosis benefit today in Point Loma. He's making lamb meatballs with a romesco sauce and a mango papaya "ceviche" dessert with coconut milk and candied ginger. He just had me taste it. It's delicious and it is pretty too. So if you happen to be going to the event, eat his food and say, Hi Food Pimp, it's a pleasure to meet you!

Tomorrow we are having a brunch for our friends, so there will be stuff to write about. Like cooking on our electric stove...I said I would never live somewhere where there is an electric stove again. I lied. Writer's liscense...

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's nice to read about some eats in my hood. I've been a big fan of Giorgino's for a long time - back from when they were Gotham City Pizza!

And I was hitting Los Reyes a lot for a while. I like the Shrimp A La Diabla (I think that's right) and their meat burritos (though I usually just go to the drive-thru at Adalberto's). For Mexican seafood like the cocktails, I think that Mariscos German on 28th and Ocean View is probably better. The cocktails, aguachiles, ceviches and fish tacos are all great - the smoked marlin taco is a must try.
The Food Ho said…
Thanks for the tips howie. We will definitely try Mariscos German!