los reyes

So we went there twice this week. The first time was a weekday, around noon. It was pretty busy, as usual. I got the burrito al pastor with beans and rice in it, and the FP got the camarones a la diablo. So I really liked the burrito with the addition of the beans and rice. I guess I'm so used to Chipotle and places like that, that I want a burrito with more than just meat in it. Not that the burritos I've had here with just meat weren't good. So that's what I would get next time I got a burrito here, maybe with some guacamole in it too.

The FP's shrimp were a little overcooked, and the sauce looked, weak. It wasn't as red and vibrant as last time, I guess it was overheated or diluted or old. It was good, just not great like the last time.

Last night we went back, just during the 9 o'clock rush. I got the rolled tacos with beans and rice, and the FP got the Siete Mares Caldo. So we got it to go. The tacos, which always looked good when I saw others getting them were disappointing. The ground beef didn't have much flavor. I guess when you stuff something and fry it or bake it, some of the flavor can leach out. The beans were thick and not quite as flavorful. I realize that they were within 1 1/2 hours of closing on a Saturday night. This makes a difference whether one wants to believe it or not. It's a fast food place....

The soup was kind of fishy, I guess. It had a plethora, though of seafood in it. It had a huge clam hiding in the bottom, a crab carapace, octopus, and some other stuff. I tasted the brothy part, and it tasted like something we used to cook way back in college. We would go to the store and buy every kind of seafood that was available and make gumbo or stew out of it. I'm not sure I would like it as much as I did back then.

So right after we ate this food, we both felt kind of sick. Very heavy in the stomach. I had some quite manly gas - which we were discussing. Why is it manly to fart? It's like guys fart, girls pass gas. I mean, c'mon. We know females have to fart too. We take big dumps too. I know I'm not the only one. I've been in the public bathroom and heard others fart and drop anchor.....

So anyhoo, this isn't a bad review of Los Reyes. I just think that every restaurant pumps out better food when they aren't slammed and when they're all ready and prepped up in the kitchen. It's kind of like that book/movie Like Water For Chocolate - to a certain extent, your emotions come out in your cooking.

But I realize this isn't something that most diners care about. They don't want excuses because they're paying money for something they expect. Well, if they're paying more money for something they could make themselves for cheaper, why not make it, right? Because they don't want to or don't know how? Then how can people judge if they don't know how to cook?

Sorry, I'm getting off track. I read some newer Yelp reviews of the restaurant that I work at, and some of the negative comments were about things that I did not have control over, even though I should. Of course the public will blame those things on me, not knowing how the restaurant operates. It makes me feel like I don't know if I want to take that risk of being in that situation. It's just difficult to take, no matter how thick one's skin is (mine is very thin) when a stranger says that one should be replaced... you know what I mean? Damn, I could never be president.... I do admire the way your president makes a jackass out of himself almost every day but keeps plowing along anyway. We were watching a documentary about body language, and they had a montage of him doing funny shit. It's just not funny because he's a world leader! Anyway, he should go into the comedy business after he retires from running (wrecking) the country.

Comments