A Jewel of a Day

So, my birthday was Dec. 28. It was a Sunday. I was feeling a little under the weather, but I didn't want to sit at home all day, so we went to the Jewel Box on 16th street in East Village. We haven't been back since, but I really like it. It's a little dive bar that seems pretty inviting as far as dive bars are concerned. There was quite a mix of people there, young, old, middle aged (like us) - no babies though. Everyone one was cool. You know how a lot of dive bars have their scene, and they don't welcome new people? Not this place. But it still had that one San Diego characteristic that almost all good dive bars have - a great beer selection. Although I was just drinking the PBR tall can because I was kinda under the weather.

Our four friends that were available met us there. Mr. IIY and Valley Girl came for a couple drinks and gave me a bottle of Patron Silver! That was very nice. They left to go watch the Chargers game at a friend's house, but Marin and Thinner Than Jesus (I think he had a different name before, but I can't remember it) stayed and we watched the game together.

So Mr. IIY (Interested In You - because he really listens to who he's talking to when he's having a one on one conversation)and Valley Girl had an order of fried zucchini. It looked pretty good. They were long thin slices. I don't know if they were frozen, but as far as I remembered, they looked like they were fresh hand cut.

Marin and TTJ had chicken fingers and something else.....nachos, maybe? Sorry. That was almost a month ago. I have a very poor memory, especially because I didn't take pictures. They seemed to be okay.

Later on, I was getting hungry, and the FP was too. So we got a steak dinner - $9.95or something like that, and wings. So the steak dinner was like, you know, traditional steak dinner. Sirloin, if my memory serves me, salad and baked potato. Salad with blue cheese dressing, of course. It was pretty damn good for 10 bucks. The wings were pretty good too. I don't know how much you follow this blog, but I have an announcement to make. THE FOOD PIMP IS OBSESSED WITH WINGS! He thinks about them even when he's not hungry. Every sign on a building that starts with a Wi makes him think it says wings, whether it does or not. I know the FP could have gone for another order, but he resisted. I guess he didn't want to make a pig of himself eating all that chicken!

Anyway, it was a very pleasant way to commemorate my middle ages. I call it middle age, because I don't expect to live past 80. As far as I know, I don't think there's anything majorly wrong with me, but a lot of little annoying things. Those will be my undoing. For instance, this morning I woke up with this ugly deep cough. I've been sleeping 9 -10 hours for the past 5 days, but I never seem to get enough sleep. The FP has been sick, and I didn't catch it - yet. I'm sure I'll get sick by the weekend, though.

Comments