Memorable Memorial Day

So, on Memorial Day, our friends had been very adamant about having a get together. When it comes to those Monday holidays, I can take it or leave it - my main focus is practice, it's like a working day to me. But for some reason it seemed to be a big deal - remember the troops and all. So we had a thing. I had to work for a little, so even though it was less than two hours, the emotional effect of having to go into work is draining. So I copped out and only made one thing. The Food Pimp, being the food pimp that he is with all that psycho nervous energy, made several dishes and spent too much money, of course.

So this is what we ate:

Tortellini pasta salad. {Insert lesbian joke here, if you are into that kind of humor} Our friend Mrs. Mac made this. It was good. I didn't get to eat much of it because all the food was very filling and we didn't take any of this home.


Cucumber salad. This is one of those dishes where, you want it marinated a little, but not too much. Actually, the next day it was really good. There was still a little crunch left, it wasn't completely sogged out like we thought it would be.


Baked beans that Mr. HRFM made. These were also very good. You know what, I'm not going to say anything was "good" the rest of the post. What kind of fucking writer am I? My adjectives are like 2nd grade level at best.


Fruit. Beautifully cut by Mr. HRFM. Another unfortunate dish that didn't make it into my gastrointestinal system in satisfactory quantities. Later on, when we were vegging out at home in front of the TV, I had craving for fruit, even though we had all this other stuff to eat.


My mac and cheese. C'mon...it's mac and cheese. What a safe bet....always delicious....almost always. I used sharp cheddar, of course, queso ranchero - the dry kind, and crema. Yum, I love crema.





Ribs. Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Ribs. BBQ sauce, pineapple, ginger, soy sauce, lime, salt, chili, cilantro, green onion. This was funny because at first the FP had me taste the sauce and it was sooooooo salty. And then when all was said and done, it was almost a bit undersalted. Not really, but after tasting the initial form of the sauce I expected it to be saltier, and my tastebuds were probably bracing themselves for a lot of salt, and then there wasn't a lot of salt. It was rather balanced.







Mr. HRFM's pulled pork sandwich. Damn...that was a lot of pork. It was........you know.

So, there's no picture of TFP's corn maque choux. It was pretty and it tasted good. Much like....use your imagination. I know. I realize this is a very interactive blog today. You have to come up with your own jokes, metaphors, similies, recipes too! Anyway, corn maque choux is a delicious cajun corn dish that is really simple, but it's always a big deal when it's served. I'm not sure why. It's kinda like mac and cheese, I guess. Maybe people don't like to cut the corn off the cob?

And there's no picture of the chocolate truffle cake that the FP made either. He had brought 2 or 3 over, but the dog ate one of them. He stuck his head in the fridge when the FP opened the door and went straight for the cake! He's still alive though, so don't worry... I guess. What else, the night before he had half a pizza, he was trolling all day for food, he also got a little spilt beer. It was a good food day for him. If he had a food blog it would have been a good weekend for him to write about!

Comments