San Fran part 5

So, Tuesday night, we decided to blow more money. We went to Wine Steals, then we went to Bite. This place has been off my radar since a few months after it opened, but there we were. We sat outside on the patio. So did almost everyone else that went there to eat.

So we had a cute little stylish boppy gay waiter. He pretty much addressed everything he said to the Food Pimp. Didn't really make eye contact with me. That is disconcerting. I'm not sure why. I guess because I expect a homosexual to think of gender as being equal? But, maybe he just thought the FP was cute and he'd rather look at him than me. He does have that bit of fem in him that the guys go crazy for....



This was our amuse bouche. I haven't been to a restaurant in a looooonnng time that served those. Those is fo fancy places we cain't ford! So this was like a smoked salmon spread or something equally exciting.



Okay. I'm going to be honest. This was not good. Squid steak skewers. They were tough, not chewy. Give me a lightly grilled squid steak anytime. All that panko and garnish...too much. And I think it really needed the lemon too.


Duck liver pate. Now this was some good shit! It had like dried cherries and pistachios in it, with traditional condiments - caperberries, and capers AND pickles! I liked that. I love me some pickled shit! I probably might even like "pickled shit"!


This was the lamb meatballs with polenta, arugula and tomato sauce. I love polenta. It's one of my favorite starches in the world, next to rice, potatoes and pasta.... in fact, there is polenta and rice in the fridge right now. So I think it was good. I really don't remember how we liked the meatballs. I want to say they were a little tough, but I don't remember so I'm not going to speculatively (is that a word?) badmouth something I don't remember. I do remember digging the polenta, arugula and tomato sauce combo though. Sad that I don't remember the star of the show. The meatballs are like Winona Ryder in Girl Interrupted. Poor Winona.


Sweetbreads with onion jam and pancetta. So the pancetta was supposed to be wrapped around it, but it kinda wasn't, and it wasn't as crispy as it could have been. But the sweetbreads were...sweet. Not in the literal sense. But they were nice and creamy and savory and pleasant in the mouth. They were nicely cooked. All that glaze all over the plate was kinda unnecessary though.


creme brulee. Pretty. Kinda like a dumb blond chick. Nice to look at,but when you crack it open not as attractive, not all there. It was a little runny. And the problem with creme brulee is that when you have had that perfect one, it's hard to accept anything less after that. And I know I've made countless subpar creme brulees, but it isn't as easy as it seems to make. But there you have it... Bite, it didn't by any means completely bite, but I'm not biting.

God, can you tell I'm PMSing?

Comments

caninecologne said…
hi fh!
wow, i haven't been to bite in 2 years...

i'm not big on creme brulee either. i never order it. i also am not a fan of tiramisu. come to think of it, those desserts bore the hell out of me.

word ver:
sisesu