I got crabs

So, I am a sucker for advertising. I tend to see something I want, and I get fixated on it until I get it. Like crabs. I've been watching that new Cooking Channel show Hook, Line & Dinner. So, there was an episode with blue crabs. I love blue crabs. I didn't realize how much I loved them until I moved away from the eastern seaboard. People don't always appreciated something that they grew up with that was always around.

Anyhoo, I got crab on the brain. So one day I dropped the Food Pimp off to band practice and I went to 99 Ranch Market. It was a weekend, and it was packed as to be expected, but I wasn't in a hurry so I didn't really care. I made some groceries - baby bok choy and chinese broccoli, ginger and stuff. But my main reason for being there was for seafood. So, I bypassed all the madness of the meat counter and headed for the back corner of the store. Where it was actually relatively calm compared to the rest of the store.

So, I looked at the two boxes of blue crabs. They were pathetic (pa-tet-ik is how my mom would pronounce it) They were overall pretty small, some were dead, others were not lively at all, and most of them had claws missing. But in the tank above, there were stone crabs, $3.99/lb - good price point. So, I picked out 3 fatties. Then I waited in the checkout line to spend my hard earned cash (no laughing please - I spent many years working hard to receive my measly unemployment checks).

Anyhoo, I was thinking of this lobster dish at this chinese restaurant in Metairie, LA, and it influenced me in my preparation of the stone crabs. So, this dish was like lobster in the shell stir fried in ginger and other stuff. It was really delicious.

So, I wanted to stir fry the crab. I left them in the sink in the plastic bag while I was doing stuff.


So they started to move around a little. My cats were laying on the futon, having a snooze.


When the crabs started moving, their ears perked up, but I guess they were too lazy to investigate, which was good - I didn't want to deal with any pinched cat noses or anything.

So, I steamed the crabs for a few minutes. They were mostly cooked. Then, I broke them up into easy to pick pieces and threw them in the fridge. Then I picked up the FP. So, to finish the dinner, I chopped up lots of baby ginger and garlic. I sauteed that in vegetable and a little sesame oil. I added some chopped thai chilis. Then I brought the heat up pretty high and added the crab, some soy sauce, rice vinegar and a little patis (fish sauce). Then I tossed in chiffonade of mint to garnish.


I sauteed some chinese broccoli and king trumpet mushrooms in the same pan.


I also made some dipping sauce, which was more of the same - soy, rice vinegar, sesame oil, patis, and chilis.


Of course, I steamed some rice to go with it.
I have to say, it was pretty fucking good.

Comments