Chinesish

So, I've been cooking what would be termed pan-asian, which is just a euphemism for the f word - FUSION. It's a hated word. I would hate for people to term my food fusion, but there you have it.
I had some groceries I needed to use, so I went to the the mexican market and bought some thin cut pork chop. I had some chow mein noodle that I would just stir fry with stuff. I guess it was a bastard kung pao.



Pan Asian Fusion Bastard Kung Pao Pork Chop Chow Mein

2 inches ginger peeled and minced
4 cloves garlic minced
2 oz peanuts
3 T sesame oil
1 lb pork chops bone in sliced
2 bunches green onion sliced into 3 inch pieces
6 heads baby bok choy leaves separated and washed
small handful sezchuan peppers (I had to get these "japanese peppers" from Panchos because I forgot to get sezchuan peppers when I was at the asian market. They were longer and thicker than szechuan peppers, so not as good)
1/2 lb bean sprouts
4 oz soy sauce
3 oz fish sauce (I prefer Rufina Philippine brand, of course)
2 oz rice vinegar
1 oz honey
1 c water
1 pack fresh chow mein noodles blanched

Heat a wok or saute pan until it's hot. Add 2 tablespoons sesame oil, and swirl it around bottom of the pan. Add ginger, garlic, peanuts and peppers. Stir fry quickly, so contents don't burn. Let it cook until everything is nicely toasted. Remove and set aside. Add 1 tablespoon sesame oil. When it's hot, add green onions and cook for one minute. Sprinkle pork chops with a little salt, then add to pan. Let it cook for one minute on high, flip cook another minute. Add soy sauce, fish sauce, rice vinegar, honey, and water. Let it come up to a boil, then add bok choy. Reduce heat to medium high, and let cook for 3 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, pepper and peanut mix, sprouts and chow mein noodles. Toss to mix everything. Let it cook another several minutes until noodles are cooked to desired doneness and sauce has reduced some.



I also bought one of those vacuum packs of bamboo shoots. I actually made this first so it would marinate a little.



Yummy Bamboo Shoot Salad
2 T sesame oil
2 szechuan peppers
I pack bamboo shoots cut into thin strips
2 oz fish sauce
1 oz soy sauce
1 oz rice vinegar
juice of 2 key limes

Heat a saute pan or wok. Add sesame oil, swirl around bottom of pan, and let it get hot. Add szechuan peppers and fry until evenly toasted. Turn off heat. Toss in bamboo shoots, fish sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and lime juice. Take off heat. Serve warm or cold.

And then, of course, I sliced some fresh chilis and put it in fish sauce with a splash of vinegar for the FP. He can never have enough salt or heat......

Comments