I Just Don't Get It!

So, my palate must just be way off.  So, we went to South Beach Bar & Grill last week, to catch the sunset on the beach, and to enjoy beer and food while looking at the Pacific.  So, we went to South Beach in OB.  I have heard people say that they had the best tacos, and I guess the place has won awards.  And it was tuesday, so $2.50 taco Tuesday.

So, the upstairs area was full, and it didn't look like the upstairs patio was open.  So, we got a table downstairs where we could still see the ocean.  It didn't really matter though.  The sky was so overcast that we didn't really get to see the sunset. And we had hurried to get to the beach on time.  :(

So, we got some beers and we ordered some food.






So, here was the fried baby octopus.  So, the first most obvious thing is that it was deep fried with no dredging or batter.  So, we were open.  The first one was too chewy.  The second I had was smaller and more tender.  The sauce it came with was just cocktail sauce.  We ate kind of a lot because we were probably just hungry, but the cooler they got the more inedible.  So, last time I had the octopus cocktail which was not good.  So they just seem to not do octopus well.






So this, while it was a huge portion, was too big.  It was ceviche cocktail.  So, it was mushy, and it was sweet from the tomato juice or ketchup.  So, once again, we ate it, but it got grosser the more we ate.








Chips and salsa and guacamole.  Salsa was like weird.  It was made with canned tomatoes.  It definitely wasn't the worst thing on the table, but not great, to be sure.  The guacamole was like the best thing.  It was made with one or two avocadoes, plenty.  So, we used it to make the other food taste better.  The guacamole was the first thing to go.






So here are the famous award winning fish tacos, no cheese.  I got the fried ones, because I remembered something about the grilled fish being underseasoned or something.  Then I remembered.  They use a whole fish fillet for the tacos.  So the big piece of grilled fish was kind of bland.  I had to make sure not to get the cheese on it, because it was just like cheddar and monterey jack or something, which I do not think goes on a fish taco.  The condiments on the fish taco are good, and the fried fish was good, but it's just too big.  The tortilla fell apart after a while.  Sure, for $2.50 each, it's a good deal, but I can't help but think that the price for the portion colors the opinions of those who say it's the best fish taco in San Diego.  It's good.  It's better than a lot of fish tacos I have had.

But I wouldn't call it the best.  It was the best compared to the fried octopus and the ceviche cocktail.  Luckily, the server was cool and gave us the happy hour prices, even though I think happy hour was technically over before our order was put in.  So, at least we didn't spend a shit load on food we didn't like.  But I think there was nothing wrong in the execution of the food.  I think they made everything as they intended.  I just personally did not like the ceviche and the octopus and the salsa.  I just don't get it.  Maybe that's part of why I need to leave San Diego.  Maybe if I did open a restaurant here no one would like my food.

Comments

Ryan Hogrefe said…
Octopus. This is something I've been into for the last few years. Greek wood grilled octopus is my favorite. I've also had Octopus Ceviche and Octopus carpaccio. Also sashimi or nigiri. I'd really like to cook it at home but it's hard to find here in ATL.
The Food Ho said…
When cooked properly, octopus is one of the best things in the world! When not cooked properly, it is highly disappointing!