Old pic

So, I just got an iphone, and before that, I only had an ipod for a few months.  The FP has had an iphone for a couple years now, so I generally know how to use them.  But, the whole photostream, icloud and syncing and stuff is still new to me.  Like, I can transfer photos from the computer onto the ipod or iphone, but I don't know how to do it the opposite way.  So, when I want to blog and use a photo from my ipod or iphone, I either have to email it to myself, or I start a draft of the blog on the ipod or iphone.  Then, I have to publish the blog and open it on the computer to edit it.  If I save as draft on the ipod or iphone, it only saves locally to the device, not on the interwebs.

So, anyway, it's late, and I never try to set aside time to blog anymore.  I can't say that I don't have time, because, one can always find time to do things if they have to or really want to.  But, when I'm at home after work, I like to space out.  I go on facebook or pinterest, check my email and watch TV.  Ok, I also plan to do things.  I make to do lists.  And I plan for the future.  But, nothing worth telling you about just yet....

Yeah, I know, why so cryptic?  Because I hate to blab about plans before they are made.  Then when they fall through, I feel like an ass for telling everyone.

That's why.

Anyway, this is supposed to be a food blog, right?  So, where's the food, damnit?



cheesy pasta with arugula and avocado







There's some food.  It's kind of a good story, because I was off work by myself.  Well, I mean, the FP was working, but I was off.  I have trouble trying to figure out what to eat for lunch when the FP is at work.  I mean, we have trouble deciding when we are both off, but it's way harder when it's just me.  So, I kind of was in the mood for mac and cheese.  But, I didn't want to make a big pot of it, which is usually what happens when I make it.  I just wanted a little bit.  And I wanted to try this technique that I saw on... pinterest.  So, I kind of used stuff we had around the house.  We had the pasta, and I think we had some cheese - pecorino, maybe some colby jack, and blue cheese.  I believe I bought some milk, and the avocado.  I hadn't planned on putting avocado in the pasta, but I saw avocados for an ok price, so I bought one.  

Anyhoo, the technique is to boil the pasta until it's al dente.  Then you save a little of the pasta water.  You melt butter, then you add the pasta water and milk and let it cook.  It's supposed to get kind of thick, since there is the starch from the pasta, and it's supposed to combine with the butter to make a roux.  It kinda didn't really get very thick, but when it was boiling, I added the cheese and let it melt into it.  Then I tossed the pasta back into the sauce.  It wasn't as thick and creamy as regular mac and cheese, but it was cheesy enough.  I found the arugula in the refrigerator, so I decided to add that and the avocado into it as well.  

So, I wasn't too thrilled with the consistency of the cheese sauce, but actually, with the blue cheese, the arugula and avocado, it was pretty damn good.  I sat on the couch with my bowl of gas producing comfort food and ate the shit out of it!






Comments