recipe for sweet teeth

My parents were visiting a few weeks ago. One day I came home from work and I brought them 2 really delicious pears (I can't remember if they were anjou or bartlett) and a scone I had made.

I'm not a big baker. I had a horrible experience in culinary school with baking class, so it scarred me permanently. Sure, I have to bake at work, but I don't spend freetime baking for fun.

Anyway, I have to make scones and muffins at work. I've gotten pretty good with some of them, although the additions really change the consistency, moisture and density of the end product. So my favorite additions to scones are white chocolate and coconut, two of my favorite dessert flavorings.

Getting back to the scone I gave my parents, it was white chocolate almond, I think. They ate it, and they actually loved it. They really are never impressed with my cooking. They love the Food Pimp's cooking, of course... They ate the pears as they were driving through Arizona. My mom's comment when I talked to her later was, "The pears were so good. It's a shame you didn't get more pears." Moms...gotta love them!

White chocolate coconut scones, makes 8 big ones

4 c flour
1 c sugar
1 t baking soda
2 t baking powder
2/3 c butter, cold, cut into small dice
1 egg
1 c yogurt or sour cream
2/3 c white chocolate powder (you can use hot white chocolate mix)
2/3 c white chocolate chips
1 c loose packed coconut flakes
1/2 toasted slivered almonds, optional

Preheat the oven to 325, and grease a baking sheet, or line with parchment paper. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Add the butter, and work it into the dry ingredients until it has a coarse grain texture. Add the rest of the ingredients, and work it until everything is incorporated evenly, and it comes together as a dough. Work it a little more. Form it into a big ball, and evenly squarsh it down so it's about 2 or 3 inches thick. Cut it like a pie into 8 wedges. Place the wedges alternately with triangle points in and out on the sheet pan with 2 inches of space between them. These expand a lot, so if you need to, use 2 pans. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. You can tell when they're ready because the bottoms will be firm and nicely browned (just like a brazilian's ass), or you can use the toothpick test.

Comments