blue shrimp boil

So there's The Oriental Seafood Market (or some generic named place) on Plaza Blvd in National City before Tita's Kitchenette. They have tons of seafood, it's all in these open bins iced down, but there's never anything that looks fresh, which is a shame - because there's whole salmon and yellowtail and snapper and other fish. The last time we went we saw these blue shrimp. They looked like 16 -20s or 21 -26 counts. They were actually fresh looking, and still a little frozen, but IQF frozen, not frozen like they had been previously frozen then thawed then frozen again. So we didn't get them the first time. We just stared at them in wonder. So the next time we went to National City we looked for them. They had them for $2.99/lb, and we got a couple pounds.

So it was supposed to be up to me to cook them, as the FP was working that night. He was very excited about what I was going to do with them. I thought Asian, since they seemed to be the product of some import shrimp dumping from somewhere in asia. But I know the FP wanted shrimp boil. I was going to get some stuff for some simple stir fry or something. I thought, cook them simple but maybe have a yummy dipping sauce for them.

Before that though, I decided to go for a jog for the first time in several months. It was a nice day, and I wanted to be outside. So I went for maybe 30 minutes. I took my house keys off my chain, so didn't have to carry such a bulky set of keys. I got back, and an hour later I thought I'd run to the store, then prep dinner, then take a shower. So I get to the store, I buy girl scouts Samoas cookies and groceries, and I go home. As I'm walking up the stairs, I realize, I never put the house keys back on the chain. I'm locked out. Our door lock is kind of old and messed up, so I don't have too much hope of getting in with a credit card. But I try. For about an hour. I can't get it, and I've gone through 3 cards - an expired debit card, a loehmann's store savings card and maybe a ralph's card. And I have ripped the skin off of my index finger trying to wedge the cards in. Oh, and my cell phone was charging in the house, so I didn't have a phone. I sat and thought. Well, the FP would hopefully be back in 2 hours. I could wait. I've waited before. Eventually, one of the neighbors went to do laundry, so I asked her if I could use her phone. I called the FP, but he didn't answer. I left a message. All I could do was wait. I ate some cookies. I didn't want to drink the water I bought, because I didn't want to have to ask the neighbors if I could go piss in their toilet. I wrote some shitty lyrics. Finally, at 9 pm, the FP comes banging in the gate. He sees me and asks, "What are you doing outside?" Duh.

So I finally get inside the house. The last thing I want to do is cook. The FP wants shrimp boil. So we get back in the car, and go back to the store, where I was 3 hours ago. We get stuff. So we go home, and the FP cooks up a shrimp boil with Zatarain's boil, new potatoes, garlic, italian sausage, onion and those blue shrimp. We forgot corn though, damnit! The shrimp were good. Very shrimpy, but not spoiled, just strong. They were very asian tasting, I thought, whatever that means. The sausage sucked. There was a flavor that was too strong in the sausage that clashed with the zatarain's. Fennel or something. The potatoes and garlic were delicious, though. I'm so pissed though. I forgot to take a picture of the blue shrimp. They were so pretty. Blue.

Comments