A real flop of a dinner

So a ago when it was really hot outside, I didn't really want to cook dinner, but I didn't really know what I wanted. I had been wanting pesto pasta for a while, which is a strange craving, so I thought that would be quick and easy to make. I put water on to boil, then I went to Albertson's. I came back and I cooked what should have been an easy meal, but it turned out to be an annoying meal that made the apartment even hotter.

Not the Best Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe

1 bag arugula
1/2 bunch parsley
1/2 bunch cilantro
3 oz walnuts
5 oz extra virgin olive oil
salt

3 lbs chicken thighs (make sure they're frozen if you're going to recreate this mediocre recipe)
1 eggplant large dice
1 onion medium dice

1 lb "mezze" penne cooked (it's baby penne!)


So at the store they didn't have basil. I knew that I should have gone to Pancho's or Von's, but I was too lazy to drive the extra 2 miles. So I got arugula instead. I ended up spending more money than I wanted to, because Albertson's can be pretty pricey. I blended the pesto. The arugula, parsley and cilantro, and the walnuts and olive oil all went in the blender. The best way to make it fast is to put the oil and nuts in first, then the greenery. I of course was hot and bothered, and not thinking properly. I put the greenery in first, then the nuts and oil. The problem with this, is there isn't enough liquid in the bottom to get the whole pureeing process to happen fast enough. So I got annoyed and I added a little water to help it along.

So I was boiling the pasta, but I only put half the package in. I could have put the whole package in, but it was too late. Oh well, no biggie, but just another annoying mistake.

So I cut up my veggies, and I started sauteeing them in the biggest pan I had on hand. It is this annoying stir fry pan with a loose handle. Then I opened the pack of chicken to cut it up. The chicken was frozen. I was very over this meal at this point, that I just cut it up and I put it in the pan with the veggies, overcrowding the surface. So at this point, I wasn't sauteeing the chicken and veggies, I was kind of steaming it, or boiling it, because the water was coming out of the chicken as it was defrosting in the pan. So the chicken looked anemic, and it took way longer to cook than it should have.

The Food Pimp came home, and it was hot. He looked at the chicken and asked what it was. I told him, I wanted chicken pesto pasta. He was not thrilled at all. I made him eat it anyway. The move was to put the pasta and chicken in a bowl and then mix some pesto into it. That way the pesto would stay fresh and green It wasn't bad. I, myself, really liked the pesto, which made the dish not bad. But I could tell the FP was eating for biological reasons, not for the joy of it. Well, anyone who says they've never cooked a bad meal has probably not cooked very much at all.

Comments