Sunday Corned Beef Hash

So, I guess this blog is called the Corned Beef Hash Gluttons' Blog. So, Sunday we decided to have some corned beef hash for breakfast. I'll be honest, I haven't made it in a long time. So I made a mistake when making it. What you have to do is you have to either parboil the potatoes separately, or give them a water bath first. I was thrown off because the FP decided to be my sous chef and chop up the veg for me. So I sauteed the onions, and then I threw in the potatoes without thinking after he diced them. So of course, the starch stuck to the pan and burnt there. The hash that didn't stick didn't burn, but it didn't get that nice crust that I love. Oh well, not every meal is perfect in the Food Ho and Food Pimp household - contrary to popular belief! But I must say, the FP made poached eggs and they were perfect. I love poached eggs. They're just nice and kinda fluffy, but the yolk is runny - a natural sauce. Here - check out the picture:



So then we also got a pineapple. It was ripe, but a little too ripe. It had lost it's tang, and it was just sweet. Disappointing.

So the other thing on the plate is rice. Yeah, there is potatoes in the corned beef hash, but rice adds another starch dimension that you just can't get with potatoes alone. I pretty much grew up eating rice with my corned beef hash, and it kinda doesn't seem right without it. If you think about it, at restaurants, they serve homefries or hashbrowns with corned beef hash, so that is not only double starch, but it's double potato!

So then, we also stopped by Panchita's Bakery on C st. This is an amazing smelling little bakery with tons of bread and cookies and doughnuts and "pan dulce" and cakes and all kinds of stuff. What you do, is you grab a pizza pan and tongs and pick out what you want, then they bag it and you pay for it. So we got this custard filled donut. It was oozing custard. The donut was so sweet, and the custard was kinda of not as sweet, but so...custardy. I mean just the nicest texture. And I picked out this pan dulce thing that I thought would be filled, but it wasn't. It was like a yeast roll with cinnamon sugar on it. Very unexciting after the cream filled donut. Here's what it looked like:



See, boring.

Anyhoo, that was our breakfast. Then I went to work. Not good prework food, let me tell you.....

Comments