This should have been posted over a month ago!

So, I have to explain why I don't post as much as I used to. I'm kind of mentally unstable. This blog is supposed to be a product of happy, blissful calm, positive feelings. So when shit is happening in my life, I don't want to write here and pollute it with negativity. Right now, work is very unstable, so this blog sucks right now. Oh, also, this computer bites. Either the spyware antivirus program uses too much memory, it's not very effective, or both. But half the time when I try to write it freezes, and if I haven't saved the draft I lose part of it. I apologize.

So here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna copy and paste. So over a month ago, I went out to lunch with Canine Cologne of the blog Pink Candles at Ridgemont High, Lotus of Happy Cows and Lyly of The Eating Enthusiast.

So we went to Sab E Lee. I had only gone there once before, but I had loved it. The Food Pimp was out of town, so he was kind of jealous that I was going without him. It's kind of funny, because I don't do girl things. I mostly eat with the FP, and then if we hang out with our friends, it's usually as couples. So it was weird in a nice way to hang out with chicks. I'm a bit of a loner, and I like going to eat by myself, but I don't ever do it.

Anyway, I ran into Laotian Flower (I have to use nicknames, it's just more comfortable, although, I think she renamed herself Laotian Firecracker, so I'll probably just switch between the two) the night before. She said that she likes to go eat good food and that we should call her sometime to eat. So I got home and I thought, why didn't I ask if she wanted to go to Sab E Lee? So I asked her and she did indeed want to go. So we were like this cool multi-asian women gang. Yeah, that's what we were like. And everyone there was stunned by our multi - asian beauty. Okay. Maybe not. I can dream right? It's my blog. IT's MY BLOG!

So then the unicorns came and ate moonbeams with us and gave us rides up to the rainbows where we ate the best tangy tutti fruitti gelato made with coconut milk and we danced on venus and then we took a nap on the clouds, which turned pink like cotton candy and we ate them, then we went back to earth and our significant others were there waiting, although they looked different. Canine Cologne's hubby looked like Edward from Twilight. The FP looked like himself, because I wouldn't want him to look like anyone else. (he reads it, so I have to censor it - if you want to find the underground uncensored version of this blog you have to do some black market blog research.)

Sorry. Getting back to the blog at hand. Sab E Lee. Thai Cuisine. Linda Vista Foods. If you don't know about the place, you'd probably never notice it. It's teeny - I counted the seats while we were there, but now I can't remember how many -there's no more than 20, if that. Last time we went, I got the fried rice with pork leg, if my memory serves me. It was delicious.

This time, I didn't know what I wanted. The bbq pork neck sounded good though.

So Canine Cologne and Lotus showed up. Canine Cologne is very cool. I'm not sure how else to describe her. I imagine she is good at her job - she loves high school culture. I do too, but not to the same extent as her - the FP makes fun of me a lot.

I had to watch Twilight that weekend because the FP was out of town and that was my only chance. I was briefed by some friends earlier in the week about what to expect. Cheese. Not velveeta, but more like... extra cheesy cheetos? It was so campy and filled with funny dialogue and stilted acting, that I .....loved it. It was like eating a whole quart of Ben & Jerry's with magic shell and whipped cream.

So back to Sab E Lee. CC sat down, and it was down to business. I liked that. She was like in charge. So she ordered some stuff, and we all also picked a dish.


Papaya salad. It was good, but I'm kind of used to this being blow your head off spicy. That's how it's supposed to be, right? Well we asked for medium, but it was more like mild medium. It was good though, like I said.


This was the pork jerky. It had a good, dry cured marinated flavor. But...it was dry. But it was jerky. Jerky is a dry cured meat. So..go figure. I would love to pick some of that up from the Chevron on a road trip though. That would be a great snack!


The beef nahm tok. This was good, but I think compared to everything else it was not the best. If we were at another restaurant, this might have been amazing in context, but you know, when you're at Sab E Lee, the bar is raised.



Phad See ew. This was LF's pick. They were thick wide soft noodles. Good texture, but we all agreed a little too sweet.


The sausage. I love sausage. Insert lewd comment.

Did I ever tell you about our sausage party? Okay, it wasn't a sausage party, but when we lived in Nola and the whole foods opened down the street, the FP, CMG and I bought about links of sausage and cooked them and tasted them all.

Anyway, this thai rice sausage was good. I can't describe what in particular made it good - after all, this meal was over a month ago! But it was good. Damn good!


BBQ pork neck. I picked this, surprise surprise! This and/or the sausage was my favorite! Pork neck! Pork neck! Fatty deliciousness. Can I tell you a secret though? I was a bit disappointed it wasn't on the bone so I couldn't suck all the lovely luscious meat off the bone. Insert dirty joke here. The sauce looked spicy, but it really wasn't. It was good though. Nicely balanced.

Anyway, this was a great lunch. Great food eaten with three new food companions!
It was fun!

Here's CC's review - I think she has way better pictures than my 2002 kodak!

Sab E Lee

Hopefully we will dine together again!

Comments

caninecologne said…
heh heh, you said "sausage party"!


great post!


and i think my hubby looks better than edward from Twilight! and yay, you finally watched that cheesefest of a flick, 'twilight'. yeah, some of that dialogue was pretty corny, but damn, just turn off the sound and rewind all the pattinson parts. ha ha.

speaking of which, you must see the youtube video i posted on my blog. the boy has been working out! remember his shirtless reveal scene in twilight? kind disappointing. not this time. omfg, six-pack and ripped! finally, something worth looking at. that new moon movie better be fkg good since chris "american pie" weitz is directing!

let's go to ba ren at the end of june!

i had a great time at lunch with you girls. i hardly ever do girl stuff do and when i do, it's usually with lotus or another group i go with (but not recently)
KirkK said…
Hey FH - Maybe if you all go Ba Ren in the middle of June, I can tag along??? ;o)
caninecologne said…
hi kirk
ik was hoping you'd come along - we needyou! ha ha! we dont' want the fortune cookies!!! ha ha.
The Food Ho said…
Yes, you should definitely "tag" along - but really be our guide!!!!