Spice Island

So, there's one of those restaurants in one of those old service station buildings on Massachusetts by the hospital in Lakeland. These are always appealing to me because I assume the food is going to be delicious and soulful. This particular place is just that - Spice Island. I think it's funny that there's Island Spice on the West Coast and Spice Island on the East.



So I had been eyeing up Spice Island since I had first seen it. So one night my sis, Openheart and I decided to go there for dinner and then eat it at the park on the other side of Florida Ave. It was about 8pm. The place was closed. But this young Jamaican couple was talking to a guy through the chain link fence on the side, trying to convince him to open. Finally, he did. He said, curry goat or curry chicken only. That made it easy - one of each. And he charged me like $15 for the 2 heavy containers, and a ginger beer.





So, they were exactly the same, same sauce - just goat or chicken. I couldn't decide which one I liked more. They were both really good, not saucy, but I didn't miss the sauce because the meat had really soaked up the flavor. The rice was good. The cabbage was delicious. Not cooked down all the way, and not raw... just right.


I like the way it's overlabelled - Reggae Style - Jamaican Style - Reggae Country Style Brand - Ginger Beer - Soda. Anyhoo, it was delish, spicy and sweet, but not too sweet. Sometimes I find that ginger beer will just make me thirstier. This one did not.

So we were eating. Duwende was silently and methodically playing. But he wasn't burning enough energy. And then he was about to cross the road to the car, so I had to solve this. I had to play. So I climbed up one of the slides and made lots of noise and stuff. That got his attention. So he started running up every slide before he slid down it. So, I ran around on all the equipment, and he did too. Unfortunately, I was getting tired before he was. We went to the swings, we pushed him, then he pushed me, which is scary, because I was pretty sure I was going to knock him over on the down swing. I don't remember if I did or not....
This brand ginger beer, I have never seen

Comments