Coast to Coast part 2

So, we were in West Palm Beach last weekend.  Wow, it seems like longer than that.  The second night there, we went to a goth club and stayed until 1 or 1:30.  So we went to sleep late.  My sister drove down Saturday morning from Kissimmee, and she got to the hotel at 9:18 am.  She called and left a voicemail.  About 10 minutes later, we woke to a loud knock on the door.  It was the maid.  If she hadn't of knocked on the door I think we would have slept until 10:30.

So, we got up, and we started driving.  We drove down the coast.  On Ocean Blvd.  If you've never been there, I can't describe it to you.  It's miles and miles of mansions and compounds and condos and townhouses on the beautiful Atlantic coast.  There's no t shirt shops or restaurants or surf shops or anything except for residential zoning.  Sometimes the road is covered by foliage leaning in on both sides.  This is an area of my childhood state that I've never seen before.  Weird.

Anyhoo, we drove and drove, although we only went 30 miles down the coast it felt farther.  Especially when the speed limit is 25.  So, we got to Boca Raton, and then began the dreaded search for a lunch place.  The iphone was very slow, so it wasn't too helpful.  Finally, we found a sign that had the word "wings" in it.  That was the keyword for the FP and for my sis, who's alias on this blog happens to be Buffalo Rib.  The place was called Hurricane Grill & Wings.

So, we sat on the patio.  I felt like even though we were at a wing joint, I still wanted seafood.  It was hot and humid, and I couldn't imagine scarfing down some hot wings.  The FP could go to India and eat hot wings.  So, I got grilled shrimp skewers.  This is totally not what I would usually get, but we were in Florida.  I was going to eat as much seafood as I could stuff into my big fatty mouth.

So, the shrimp were kind of small.  But they were not overcooked and they were seasoned.  So I was happy with that.  The yellow rice was pretty good, and the broccoli was surprisingly good.  The FP and my sis made fun of me because I mentioned it a few times.  I guess it was just surprising that it wasn't insipid mushy old broccoli.  It was cooked with garlic and a little parmesan.

So, we also got fried pickles.  My sis loves spice, vinegar and meaty things.  My mom used to love to tell the story how she would catch my sis as a little kid taking big slugs out of the gallon apple cider vinegar jug.  My mom also liked to attribute the fact that my sis barely ever got sick to the vinegar diet.
Anyway, here's the pickles.


So it was slices, which I prefer to spears and it came with that thousand island type of dipping sauce.  These were really good.  Nice and crispy!



So, BR and the FP split an order of Hot (category 3) wings.  I think the FP only ordered this level because he probably was thinking my sis wouldn't want any hotter.  She would have eaten the category 5 wings if he ordered them, I'm sure.  She's what you call a man's lady.

So, the wings were pretty good, but not enough sauce.  The fries, I think they were like too salty or something.  The slaw, was... slaw.  Not a bad lunch.

So, we drove around some more.  We wanted to really see as much of the place as we could.  So, I looked up places that served craft beer.  I found a German restaurant in Lake Worth that was reported to serve some.  So we drove there.  We were pleasantly surprised with the area.  The strip that led to the intercoastal waterway was more modest.  There were restaurants and bars and stores that had more of a neighborhood feel.  And all the houses had that cute little old beach cottage feel.  The neighborhood was mixed.  One street would seem to be well kept, middle class.  Then the next street down would look rundown and scary.

So we went to the restaurant, Little Munich.  It was one of those charming german pubs with German owners.  I love those.  I love German food, and I love German restaurants.  And the bathroom had galvanized tin buckets as sink basins.

So, I didn't see any craft beer.  Maybe they had some in bottles or something, but I didn't look to hard.  But, it was a German restaurant, so I had a German beer.  It was fine.  We sat outside until it started raining and I feared for my Mac.  So then we moved to the bar.  We weren't too hungry, but after 3 hours there, we decided to order some food to taste.  We couldn't possibly leave and not try any food!

This blurry picture is spaetzle and sauerkraut.  This was just a side of spaetzle.  I mean, it's like gluten carb overload.  Anyway, you could order gravy on anything, and I forgot to order gravy on the spaetzle, so the bartender brought us a gravy boat!  The spaetzle was good (and plenty), but the sauerkraut was great.  It tasted...authentic.  It didn't taste like canned or jarred sauerkraut, which is perfectly respectable.


Bratwursts and German potato salad.  Yummmmeeeeee! I mean, nicely cooked wursts, look at the sear.  And the potato salad.  Yum.  Yum yum.  Vinegar and bacon do wonders for potatoes.  That mayonnaisey eggy stuff without any tang - I'm sorry, I hate that kind of potato salad.   Oh, and mustard too please.  They brought us out the condiment container of brown mustard.  I love that stuff. If I had mustard and ketchup hanging off a cliff and I could only save one... sorry Heinz....

So, we left Little Munich 4 hours later and we drove.  And drove.  And drove.  We ended up in Tequesta at Tequesta Brewing Company.  We ordered what turned out to be below average beers.  Well, I shouldn't say that.  San Diego has such great brewers, even though the beers can be very...strong.  But, this Tequesta place was kinda cool, nonetheless.  I guess I had a bathroom sink fetish that day, because I found this sink basin here:

 
It's a beer tap!  How cool!  What was not cool, was that the place closed at 11 pm on a Saturday night. Well, Tequesta seemed to be a sleepy rich beach town, so I assume they have lots of rules there or something.  So, we called it a day and went back to our nice Days Inn to get some rest.


Hurricane Grill & Wings
Phone: 561-395-3306 

22191 Powerline Road

Boca Raton, FL 33433






Little Munich


561-932-0050

806 Lake Ave

Lake Worth, FL 33460



Comments